Sexuality, Boundaries, and Consent for Families
Presented by Claire Appelmans
Sat, Apr 22 from 12:30pm - 2:30pm (Pacific)
This two-hour class prepares adults to talk about sexuality, boundaries, and consent with their kids.
We root our class in the understanding that the practice of boundary setting and consent is connected to a larger ecosystem, one that includes all beings.
Class is divided into four short conversations:
In our first conversation, we expand our practice of boundary setting and consent to include other living beings such as plants, animals, water, and the land. Together, we ask questions such as: what relationships do I have with other living beings and how can I practice consent and boundary setting in my relationships with other living beings?
During our second conversation, we address how adults can create communities that honor boundaries and consent to help prevent kids from experiencing unwanted touch and sexual assault.
For our third conversation, we explore how adults can teach kids how to set their own body and sexuality boundaries during different stages of childhood.
We finish class with a conversation about games, videos, social media accounts, and books that can help kids learn about consent.
- This is an online class via Zoom. Zoom link and instructions will be emailed the day before and 30 minutes before the workshop begins.
- This workshop will not be recorded.The slides will be made available.
- Class time is listed in Pacific Time. Use this time zone converter to see what time the class will be for you: https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html
- Pay-What-You-Can tickets are open to anyone who needs them. Choose the ticket that is best for you.
- There are also a small number of discounted tickets available. If you are experiencing financial hardship, please inquire.
- Please let us know by email if you have any questions, access needs, or things that would aid in your learning: firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Presenter:
Claire Appelmans is a sexuality educator who supports families in having sexuality conversations together. Claire's guiding principles are that sexuality education is inextricably tied to the living earth, sex education begins at birth, and that caring adults make a positive impact when they actively prepare to talk with their kids about sexuality. Claire works both in-person and online to provide parent classes and private consultation sessions to parents. She completed her certificate in Sexuality Education at the Antioch University of Seattle in 2022. Outside of sexuality education spaces, Claire finds joy and meaning in dancing Brazilian Zouk and learning to sing.
If you are interested in scheduling a group class or private consultation session please contact her by email at email@example.com or with a direct message to @claireappelmans on Instagram.
About the Consent Academy:
The Consent Academy is an educational collective based out of Seattle, WA with volunteers all over the world. Our mission is to teach consent in all of its complexity, aspects, and potential. With over 60 years of education experience collectively, our approach incorporates disciplines of psychology, sociology, public health, psychotherapy, and personal coaching to create a systemic view of how consent impacts everyone, from the bedroom to the boardroom. We believe consent is part of everyday life and its practice builds stronger, safer, and more connected communities. For more information, visit us at www.consent.academy.