Managing Consent Incidents: Defamation Lawsuits
Sat, May 8 from 1pm - 3pm
It is increasingly common for consent violators to use defamation lawsuits to silence their accusers. This abuse of the legal system can be devastatingly effective: even a groundless lawsuit can cost upwards of $10,000 to defend against. Defamation lawsuits are a serious threat to anyone who does consent activism as well as anyone who simply wants to name their abuser.
This in-depth class will give you the information you need to understand the threat posed by defamation lawsuits and to minimize your exposure to them. We’ll begin by talking about how defamation law works, with a focus on the three central elements of a defamation case. We’ll also discuss what happens during a lawsuit and explore some related legal topics like false light, publication of private facts, and extortion.
Our focus is on providing actionable guidance to people doing defamation work, so much of the class will cover specific strategies and techniques for incorporating defamation awareness into your practice. We’ll talk about best practices for writing a defamation-resistant public statement and will explore strategies like pre-publication review, common interest privilege, and consent to publication. Finally, we’ll discuss the rare situations when filing a defamation lawsuit is an appropriate course of action and provide specific guidelines for doing so in an ethical fashion.
The class includes an extensive written guide that covers all the class topics in detail.
- This is an online class via Zoom. You must purchase your ticket in advance. Ticket sales end at 11:00am on the day of the workshop. Instructions for access will be emailed to you before the workshop begins.
- Class time is listed in Pacific Time. Use this Time Zone Converter to see what time the class will be for you: https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html
- No late entry will be allowed due to the intimate nature of this workshop. Access will be blocked at 10 minutes after the start time.
- Open to all 18+
- All sexes, genders, races, ethnicities, sexual orientations, relationship orientations welcome and celebrated.
- Scholarships available to those in need.
- Questions may be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please let us know by email if you have any access needs or things that would aid in your learning.
About the Educators:
Full Circle Kink is a Seattle-based kink education group known for high-quality classes on a wide range of topics. Our classes span the spectrum from beginner topics to deep dives on highly technical subjects. Regardless of the topic, our expert instructors combine deep subject matter expertise with a relentless focus on teaching practical, real-world skills.
Brought to you by the Consent Academy. For more information, visit www.consent.academy.