We Do Not Live Single Issue Lives
A discussion of intersectionality with Gloria Jackson-Nefertiti
Sat, Apr 10 from 10am - 11:30am
(NOTE: This interactive workshop was first presented on January 2, 2021 at the finale of the LOVE IS POLYTICAL – Conference for Ethical & Intersectional Polyamory/Non-Monogamy in Berlin, Germany.)
Gloria Jackson-Nefertiti is very much fascinated by the concept of "Intersectionality," which is why she became interested in teaching this class. Created by Kimberlé Crenshaw, who is an American lawyer and civil rights advocate, "Intersectionality" is what happens when "...multiple forms of discrimination (such as racism, sexism, and classism) combine, overlap, or intersect, ESPECIALLY IN THE EXPERIENCES OF MARGINALIZED INDIVIDUALS OR GROUPS" (from the Merriam-Webster Dictionary). A Black trans woman is probably the best example of a marginalized person possessing multiple forms of discrimination and oppression that intersect.
In "We Do Not Live Single Issue Lives," you will begin your journey of learning just how many social identities you may have, as well as how they intersect with each other. (SPOILER ALERT: The number of your overlapping identities is probably way more than you think!)
About the Educator:
Gloria Jackson-Nefertiti has long been interested in the idea of "Intersectionality." And when you consider her many intersections and multiple identities (Black, Autistic, Bisexual, Elder, Breast Cancer Survivor, Polyamorous, etc.), this makes total sense! Gloria is a workshop presenter and panelist ("Transcending Shame" and "Polyamory 101: From Threesomes to We-Somes''), as well as a frequent podcast guest. She is also hard at work on her memoir entitled, "A Different Drum: A Black, Autistic, Polyamorous, Mentally Ill, Former Fundamentalist Christian/Cult Member and Breast Cancer Survivor WHO JUST WANTS TO FIT IN."
- This is an online class via Zoom. You must purchase your ticket in advance. Ticket sales end at 8:00am on the day of the workshop. Instructions for access will be emailed to you before the workshop begins.
- Class time is listed in Pacific Time. Use this Time Zone Converter to see what time the class will be for you: https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html
- No late entry will be allowed due to the intimate nature of this workshop. Access will be blocked at 10 minutes after the start time.
- Open to all 18+
- All sexes, genders, races, ethnicities, sexual orientations, relationship orientations welcome and celebrated.
- Scholarships available to those in need.
- Questions may be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please let us know by email if you have any access needs or things that would aid in your learning.
This event is presented by the Pan Eros Foundation. Please go to Pan-Eros.org for more information.